Montana Associated Students searches for lobbyist

Montana Associated Students (MAS) is looking for a lobbyist to represent students on a statewide level in the 64th session of the Montana State Legislature.

The selected candidate will lobby for three to five major issues, working with the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education as well as professional lobbyists. The lobbyist will also collaborate with fellow student lobbyists from other campuses involved in MAS in addition to legislators in both the State House of Representatives and State Senate.

The student will answer directly to the MAS president and regularly report to MAS, the MAS executive team and the MAS president as necessary. The lobbyist is required to live in Helena for the entire session, which lasts from January through May. Housing and utilities will be provided.
According to MAS, the ideal student has a general understanding of issues within Montana State University System and a history with local and state politics. The lobbyist should be confident, persuasive, self motivated and able to work without supervision. They must demonstrate extreme professionalism and be able to work well with others. The position is 40 hours a week at an hourly rate of $10.

ASMSU President Destini French emphasized the importance of the position, saying that it allows the university system as a whole to “unify the student voice.”

“They can say that 50,000 students all want this, we all want the support to enhance higher education in the state,” French said.

Resume and cover letters are due by Dec. 1 and can be sent to mtassociatedstudents@gmail.com.