Vehicle catches fire in Johnstone parking lot

A vehicle parked in a handicapped space in front of MSU’s Johnstone Center caught fire at 1:12 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 12. According to Assistant Chief of University Police Mark Lachapelle, assistance arrived at 1:14 and the scene was cleared by 2:01.

Lachapelle said an ember from a smoking utensil that fell onto flammable material in the vehicle was allegedly the cause of the fire.

As of 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 16, the car remained in the parking space, despite a request for the owner to remove it within 24 hours after the event.