Let’s be honest, Nutella is proof that God exists and wants us to be happy. Or — if you’re an atheist — that science has found a way to manipulate our taste buds into a state of ecstasy. Whether you’re making a Nutella and banana sandwich or enjoying the sweet hazelnut cream straight out of the jar, there is no wrong way to eat Nutella. Its influence is felt worldwide, with even the poorest and most impoverished of countries enjoying its sweet, nutty delight.
Over spring break I had the pleasure of visiting a small fishing village in Mexico (if you saw a giant sombrero bobbing around on campus recently, I can almost guarantee you it was attached to my head). The inhabitants of this quaint, poor fishing village lived simply and knew how to enjoy life’s most simple pleasures, like Nutella Sopapillas.
For this one, you’ll need:
-1 cup of butter
1. Set a skillet on the stove and put it on medium heat.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave, then add cinnamon, sugar and honey to your discretion.
3. Brush both sides of your tortillas with a light coat of vegetable oil.
4. Once the skillet is hot, fry the tortillas individually until the edge is golden brown, then flip and repeat until all tortillas are fried.
5. Remove skillet from heat, drain any excess oil,and add the butter mixture.
6. Soak one side of a tortilla, then flip and repeat. Continue until all tortillas have reached enlightenment.
7. Spread Nutella all over your delicious sopapillas, or put in a side bowl to dip.
I now sense that you desire to venture into the fishing villages of Mexico to live their humble life. Trust me though, even though they had delicious deserts, I had to play shark bait, fight off the Cartels and sleep in a stable with the donkeys and goats.
Simple living is not as appealing as some might think, but the Nutella sopapillas of this village makes it all worth it. So gather up your friends, throw on your ponchos and sombreros, conjure up a fire with your God magic, or if you’re an atheist, your flint and tinder, and enjoy a fun night of simple joy and entertainment with Nutella sopapillas for dessert. It’s fun being with friends, but really, you’re just there for the food.